Here is a quick, easy favourite I like to feed my family. In Indian Ayurvedic food they use white Basmati rice – however you can substitute it for brown if you prefer (you may require more liquid for brown rice)
1 & 1/3 Cups Basmati Rice, rinsed and drained
2 & 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock (I use an organic Vegetable stock)
Pinch Saffron threads (I use tumeric)
50g butter (I used 1 tbspn Ghee)
1 medium brown onion
2 cloves garlic
1 cinnamon stick
6 cardamom pods
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup sultanas
1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashews
1. Place rice in a medium bowl, cover with cold water and stand for 20mins, drain (Note: if you use brown rice you may need to soak for longer) – this is an essential step in making the perfect palou!
2. Heat stock & saffron (tumeric) in a small saucepan.
3. Meanwhile, heat butter in a large saucepan, cook onion and garlic, stirring until onion softens. Stir in cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf. Cook stirring for 2 minutes.
4. Add rice, cook – stirring for 2 mins. Add stock mixture and sultana’s. Cover and simmer for about 10 mins or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
5. Sprinkle palou with nuts just before serving.
No related posts.